On an occasion, somebody asked [the great Walî] Ibrâhim ibn Ad’ham (quddisa sirruh) for advice. He said:
“If you accept six things, nothing you do will harm you. These six things are:
1) When you mean to commit a sin, do not eat the food He gives! Does it befit you to eat His food and to disobey Him?
2) When you want to rebel against Him, go out of His Domain! Does it befit you to be in His Domain and to be in rebellion against Him?
3) When you want to disobey Him, do not sin where He sees you! Sin where He does not see you! It simply is unbecoming to be in His Domain, to eat His food and then to sin where He sees you!
4) When the Angel of Death comes to take away your soul, ask him to wait till you repent! You cannot turn that angel back! Repent before he comes, while you are able, and you have the chance at this very hour, for the Angel of Death comes unexpectedly!
5) When the two angels Munker and Nakîr come to question you in the grave turn them back! Do not let them test you!”
“It is impossible,” said the person who asked for his advice.
Shaikh Ibrâhîm said, “Then prepare your answers now!
6) On the Day of Resurrection, when Allâhu ta’âlâ orders: ‘Sinners, go to Hell!’ say that you will not!”
The person said, “Nobody will listen to me,” and then repented, and he did not break his repentance till death. There is Divine Effect in the words of Awliyâ’.