Question: What are the minor signs of Doomsday (Qiyâmah)?
In the time period near Doomsday, the minor signs will occur first, and the major ones will follow them. Some hadîth-i sharîfs about the minor signs of it are as follows:
(Doomsday will not come until people boast about mosques and decorations in them.) [Ibn Mâja]
(Doomsday will not come until a man satisfies his sexual need with another man and a woman satisfies her sexual need with another woman.) [Hatib]
(Doomsday will not come until fitan [pl. of fitna] increase.) [Bukhârî]
(Miserliness will increase in people, and Doomsday will befall none but evil-doers.) [I. Najjâr]
(Doomsday will not come until immorality and fornication are in the open, until neighbors become corrupt, until the untrustworthy are thought of as trustworthy and the trustworthy as untrustworthy, and until relatives stay aloof from one another.) [I.Ahmad]
(I swear that Doomsday will not come to pass until miserliness and fornication emerge, until the trustworthy are betrayed and the untrustworthy are trusted, and until good people perish and evil ones prevail.) [Hakim]
(Doomsday will not come as long as rain has barakah.) [Abû Ya’la]
(Doomsday will not come as long as there is a Muslim on earth who says Allah.) [Muslim]
(Doomsday will not come before time draws close, so that a year will be like a month; a month, like a week; a week, like a day; and a day, like an hour.) [Tirmidhî]
(Doomsday will not come before knowledge [‘ilm] disappears and before earthquakes and killings increase.) [Bukhârî]
(Doomsday will not come to pass before wealth becomes so abundant that no person will be found to give him zakât. When a person is presented zakât, he will say, “I do not need it.”) [Bukhârî]
(Doomsday will not come until two great armies, even though they share the same cause, fight each other and until liars who say, “I am Allah’s messenger [I am a prophet],” appear.) [Bukhârî]
(Doomsday will not come before Muslims fight a war with Jews and before even rocks betray [by saying], “O Muslim, kill the Jew hiding behind me.”) [Bukhârî]
(Doomsday will not come until 70 liars who claim that they are messengers appear.) [Tabarânî]
(The number of women will increase while that of men will decrease.) [Bukhârî]
(Doomsday will not come until a person is jealous of a male child as he is jealous of a woman.) [Daylamî]
(Doomsday will not occur before sodomy is considered permissible and before stones rain down from the sky.) [Daylamî]
(Doomsday will not come until the time when children will be quick-tempered and elders will be treated with disrespect.) [Harâiti]
(A hundred years before Doomsday comes to pass, there will be no one on earth who worships Allah.) [Hâkim]
(Doomsday will not come until a person says, “I wish it were I in this grave.”) [Muslim]
(Doomsday will not come until earthquakes, fitan, and homicides increase.) [Bukhârî]
(Doomsday will not come until the time when siblings follow different religions.) [Daylamî]
(Doomsday will not come before evil people dominate the world.) [Tirmidhî]
(Doomsday will befall only wicked people.) [Muslim, Ibn Mâja]
(Doomsday will not come until the Qur’ân al-karîm is removed.) [Abû Nu’aym]
It is declared that the following will also happen when Doomsday approaches:
(People will go to extremes in purity; they, falling into waswasa, will exceed the limits in the religion.) [Abû Dâwud]
(Kinds of wine will be produced with different names, and they will be considered halâl.) [I. Ahmad]
(Public morals will deteriorate, and living by the religion will be as difficult as holding fire in the palm of the hand.) [Hâkim]
(Keeping a dog will be more attractive than raising a child.) [Hâkim]
(If prostitutes increase and fornication becomes prevalent among a community, then people will be afflicted with contagious diseases [such as syphilis and AIDS] never seen before. There will be practices of cheating in measuring and weighing, and difficulty in making a living will break out.) [Bayhaqî]
(Musical instruments will be widespread, and security forces will increase.) [Bayhaqî]
(Affairs will be handed over to incompetent people.) [Bukhârî]
(This religion was initially a stranger [gharîb], and finally it will again become a stranger.) [Tirmidhî]
(The Qur’ân will be recited through musical instruments [such as radio and TV].) [Targhib-us-salât]
(A person will give salâm [Islamic greeting] only to those whom he knows, and writers will proliferate.) [Hâkim]
(The rich will be revered for their wealth. Fornication will spread. The number of illegitimate children will increase. The old will not be respected, nor will the young be shown mercy. Wolves will be in sheep’s clothing.) [Hâkim]
(The namâz of tahiyyat-ul-masjid will not be performed anymore.) [Tabarânî]
(Knowledge will be removed. Ignorance, anarchy, and deaths will increase.) [Ibn Mâja]
(Scholars will issue fatâwâ [pl. of fatwa] in accordance with the wishes of people and declare what is halâl to be harâm and what is harâm to be halâl. They will use the Qur’ân as a means for commercial benefit, for gain.) [Daylamî]
(People will only care about obtaining property and money; they will not be concerned about whether they are from halâl or from harâm.) [R. Nâsihîn]
(More than a thousand people will perform namâz in a mosque, but there will not be a Believer among them.) [Daylamî]
(Trade will not be done without permission.) [Muslim]
(Doomsday will not come to pass until wild beasts talk to humans.) [Tirmidhî]
(The signs of Doomsday will appear one after another like beads falling one after another from a string.) [I. Ahmad, Tabarânî]
(Doomsday will occur on Friday.) [Bukhârî]
Other signs of Doomsday, which were stated in ahâdîth, are as follows:
1. Faithfulness to trust (amânah) will be lifted up.
2. The number of illegitimate children will increase.
3. Alcoholic drinks will be consumed excessively.
4. Zakât will not be given.
5. A man will obey his wife and disobey his mother.
6. Men will wear silk garments.
7. A person will treat people kindly in order to protect himself or herself from their harm.
8. The youth will be sinful.
9. The scholars who lived in the past will be accused of ignorance.
10. Loan sharking and charging and paying interest will be practiced publicly.
11. Those who are considered to be erudite or scholars will not have a speck of faith.
12. It will be regarded as a shame to live by Islam.
13. A Muslim who does goodness to everyone will be considered stupid.
14. Practicing Islam will be as difficult as holding fire in the hand.
15. Voices of sinners will rise in mosques and at gatherings.
16. Jihâd will be abandoned.
17. Bid’ats (innovations within the religion) will run rife.
18. There will be a rise in the promotion of sins.
19. Doing what is good will be prevented.
20. Enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil will vanish.
21. Relations between neighbors will be bad.
22. The Qur’ân al-karîm will be recited with taghanni in mosques.
23. Contemptible people will have a voice.
24. People will be revered out of fear that they may do some evil.
25. Musical instruments will become many and be played everywhere.
26. There will be an increase in anarchy.
27. There will be an increase in committing murder.
28. It will be considered a shame to act on the religion and to have good morals.
29. Lifeless things will talk, too.